What is Crunch?
Crunch is a wordlist generator where you can specify a standard character set or a character set you specify. crunch can generate all possible combinations and permutations.
- crunch generates wordlists in both combination and permutation ways
- it can breakup output by number of lines or file size
- now has resume support
- pattern now supports number and symbols
- pattern now supports upper and lower case characters separately
- adds a status report when generating multiple files
- new -l option for literal support of @,%^
- new -d option to limit duplicate characters see man file for details
- now has unicode support
The basic syntax for crunch looks like this:
crunch <min> max<max> <characterset> -t <pattern> -o <output filename>
Now, let’s go over what’s included in the syntax above.
- min – The minimum password length
- max – The maximum password length
- characterset – The character set
- -t <pattern> – The specified pattern of the generated passwords
- -o <outputfile> – The output file name